2 Overview of carbon dioxide
An overview of carbon dioxide – by the end of this section you will:
- understand the thermodynamics of carbon dioxide including understanding the implications of impurities on the underlying thermodynamics;
- understand the key properties of liquid carbon dioxide;
- understand the key properties of supercritical carbon dioxide;
- have an appreciation of some of the hazards of carbon dioxide;
- understand the implications of carbon dioxide and hydrocarbon mixtures, and
- understand how a ‘boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion’ (BLEVE) event could occur.