ARENA announces support for Perth biomass plant
The Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) today announced $5.2 million funding for Renergi to design and construct an innovative pilot scale biofuel production facility in Perth. ARENA said a 100kg per hour biomass conversion (pyrolysis) unit will be designed and constructed along with a complementary 20 litre per hour biorefinery unit. “Renergi’s approach would allow green bio-crude to be produced by conversion units at the source of feedstocks and refined into high quality transport biofuels at a large central refinery," ARENA chief executive Ivor Frischknecht said. Mr Frischknecht said the project would result in simple, cost effective production of renewable energy, and that the technology had the potential to reduce the cost of bioenergy by offering novel approaches to conversion and refining processes.
- Advanced biofuels study: strategic directions for Australia. Appendix
- Global technology roadmap for CCS in industry. Biomass-based industrial CO2 sources: biofuels production with CCS
- Road transport: the cost of renewable solutions
- Statistical issues: bioenergy and distributed renewable energy
- Biofuels: policies, standards and technologies