More from this author
5 African countries leading the way in climate change solutions
Africa has shown that it can leapfrog the technology lifecycle in areas such as phone networks and mobile payment systems. I think it can be done with energy as well. Africa has very good potential for decarbonised energy and proven success in areas like geothermal, wind energy, bioenergy, solar and carbon capture. With solar, for example, the technical potential for solar PV could be as high as 6,567 TWh and that of concentrated solar power 4,719 TWh. As you’ll see in the following pages progress is already being made and these projects aren’t just impacting countries in Africa – they are providing lessons that can be shared around the world.
Concentrated Solar Power Plant site in Ouarzazate, credit: Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean
- Africa's emerging energy mix- does economic growth mean increasing emissions?
- Prospects for the African power sector: scenarios and strategies for Africa Project
- Low-carbon Africa: leapfrogging to a green future
- Scenarios and strategies for Africa: working paper presented at the IRENA-Africa high-level consultations held on 8 & 9 July 2011 in Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Global wind energy outlook 2010